Are you prepared for some good previous style robotic bashing, smashing, and clashing? In A.E.G.I.S., not solely do you get to battle it out with your team of robots, however you may as well mix robots into stronger, quicker preventing machines!
What Is A.E.G.I.S.?
A.E.G.I.S. is a 2-Four participant tactical fight recreation the place you battle head-to-head, or as groups, till one aspect is victorious. There are not any victory factors or aims. This can be a simple fight recreation, however with a whole lot of choices. Relying on the variety of gamers, gameplay is 30–120 minutes, and the beneficial age is 14+. Whereas I’ve solely performed with adults, I consider that the mechanics and theme make A.E.G.I.S. accessible to a barely youthful age. A.E.G.I.S. is revealed by Zephyr Workshop, and MSRP’s for $49.99. You’ll be able to examine with your pleasant native recreation retailer to see if they’ve it or purchase it instantly from Zephyr Workshop.
Whenever you open a field of A.E.G.I.S., that is what you’ll see:
- 1 Rulebook
- 1 Double-sided recreation board
- 28 Cardboard terrain tiles (in numerous sizes)
- 100 Cardboard robotic standees
- 13 Double-sided power trackers
- 44 Injury/Drain counters
- 18 Buff/Debuff counters
- Four Restrain/Disarm counters
- three Cloaking counters
- 1 Rogue decoy
- 30 Plastic standee holders
- 100 Robot playing cards
- 13 Commander playing cards
- 10 Coloured cube
- 25 Coloured standee bases
- 1 Customized field insert
Elements are colourful and top quality. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Let’s begin with the main target of the sport – the robots. A.E.G.I.S. has 100 robotic standees. That’s numerous totally different robots and much more team mixtures. Usually, in a fight recreation, I want miniatures to standees, however in the case of A.E.G.I.S., I feel the standees are good for a number of causes. First, with 100 totally different robots, it will be troublesome to simply determine one robotic miniature from one other with out every one having a really distinct inventive type and/or paint job. Nevertheless, on the standee, the robotic picture corresponds to its card for straightforward identification. Moreover, every standee lists that bot’s primary stats instantly on them (motion, well being, and so forth.) for everybody to see without having to reference its card. Secondly, offering standees permits all of A.E.G.I.S.‘s components to be stored in a medium-sized box. And lastly, each standee is clearly numbered and corresponds with its card, making it easy to find them if you keep them organized numerically. In my opinion, I think using standees was the correct choice in this situation.
Standees are easily readable and provide basic stats. Photo by Michael G. Pistiolas
The double-sided board has a predetermined setup for a 2-player game on one side and a 3- or 4-player game on the other. It is divided into a hex grid and has some nice artistic touches like trees and terrain to give it some flavor. Although the board shows locations where terrain tiles can be placed, you are welcome to set up the tiles wherever you like, allowing for different setups and scenarios each game.
The energy tracker boards represent the available commanders in the game. Each board functions the same, but with unique artwork.
Energy tracker boards. Photo by Michael G. Pistiolas
The last components I’ll talk about are the cube and standee bases. These are each translucent and are available in 5 totally different colours consultant of the totally different robotic courses (pink, inexperienced, blue, yellow, and purple). The standee bases make it clear which robots belong to which team.
General, the standard of the cardboard standees, tokens and recreation board are nice with good thickness and sturdiness. The playing cards are a bit outsized, making them straightforward to learn and deal with on the desk. The paintings is manga type with distinctive paintings for every robotic and commander card. And greatest, of all, the field comes with a customized insert to simply retailer all of the elements if you end up carried out enjoying.
The customized insert organizes and shops all of the elements. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
The right way to Play A.E.G.I.S.
There’s a backstory and lore to A.E.G.I.S. that gives enjoyable taste and story to the general theme of the sport. With out stepping into particulars, the world of A.E.G.I.S. is at conflict and is separated into 5 factions. Having lately found historic robots, these factions battle one another for management of the world. Every participant will play as a commander of one among these nations, bringing a military of 5 robots to every skirmish.
The robots themselves are divided into 5 classes:
- A-Class: Aggressive attackers
- E-Class: Swift scouts
- G-Class: Sturdy tanks
- I-Class: Tough technicians
- S-Class: Useful backliners
The 5 robotic courses. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
There are additionally 5 robotic ranges in the sport
- Degree 1: Primary Robots. These include your beginning bots and belong to one of many class varieties – A, E, G, I, or S.
- Degree 2: Duo-Class Robots are shaped when two robots of various courses mix.
- Degree three: Trio-Class Robots are created by including a 3rd robotic to a degree 2 bot.
- Degree Four: Quadra-Class Robots comprise 4 robots.
- Degree 5: A.E.G.I.S. Class Robots. That is your Voltron-like megabot and is probably the most troublesome one to type because it have to be composed of 1 robotic from each class sort.
The 5 robotic ranges. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Anatomy of a Robot Card
All the knowledge for every bot is conveniently situated on its card, and consists of:
- Class: The category is recognized by the letter or mixture of letters related to the robotic’s class as proven in the higher left nook of the cardboard.
- Motion: The variety of areas the robotic can transfer in a single flip and whether or not it may well fly. That is situated middle prime of the cardboard.
- Power: The quantity of power the bot generates for its team. That is situated in the higher proper nook of the cardboard.
- Identify: Every bot has a particular identify, ‘ARK 150’ as an example.
- Integrity: That is the robotic’s well being and is proven in the decrease proper nook of the cardboard. When a bot’s integrity reaches zero, it’s eradicated from the sport.
- Talents: Some bots may need a passive potential that impacts the way it performs. If it has a capability, it is going to be listed on the backside of the cardboard.
- Actions: Every robotic has a number of actions that is perhaps an assault or talent that can be utilized on different robots. These actions are listed on the backside of the cardboard.
- Faction: Some robots might be aligned with one of many 5 factions, which will probably be recognized by that faction’s image in the higher left nook of the cardboard, beneath its class.
Robot card. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Creating Your Team
Earlier than starting, every participant builds a military of 5 robots. There are some standards that have to be adopted nevertheless:
- Your team can solely belong to a single faction. Fortuitously, a lot of the robots wouldn’t have faction symbols so this standards isn’t that limiting.
- You can’t have any duplicate robots on your team.
- You’ll be able to have just one commander robotic on your team though you don’t want any commanders if you’d like.
- Lastly, in addition to your beginning 5 robots, you could have a Mix Pool of as much as 5 robots. Per its identify, the Mix Pool is made up of robots which are Degree 2 by means of 5.
Beginning team of 5 robots. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Format the board and place as much as 10 items of terrain on the board. Then every participant rolls a die. The participant with the upper roll goes first and deploys their team inside their beginning zone, adopted by the opposing participant, who does the identical.
The primary participant will take their whole flip, after which the subsequent participant will go. On your flip, decide your complete power output by including up all of the power produced by your lively robots and mark it on your power tracker. You’ll be able to then use that power to maneuver your robots, set off actions, and/or mix robots. Notice that every robotic can solely activate as soon as per flip, however you do not want to activate each robotic every flip. Power is a restricted useful resource and the way you employ it’s a crucial a part of your technique.
Board setup and recreation play. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Motion sometimes prices one power to maneuver one area until the robotic’s card states in any other case. As an example, some extra maneuverable bots can transfer a number of areas for a single power. Until a robotic has flight, it can’t transfer by means of terrain. Motion should happen earlier than taking an motion or combining robots.
Power may also be used to set off actions. The power value for an motion is listed on the cardboard. Actions embrace:
- Injury: If profitable, this reduces the goal robotic’s integrity.
- Restore: This motion permits you to heal broken robots as much as their most integrity.
- Power Drain: This motion reduces the quantity of power a robotic produces, thus decreasing the general power your opponent should work with.
- Push / Pull: Because it states, this potential lets you direct a robotic away or in the direction of you. Robots pushed off the board are destroyed whereas robots pushed into different bots or terrain take injury.
- Transfer: In contrast to the Push / Pull capacity, Transfer lets you transfer robots in any path; nevertheless, they can’t be moved off the board, nor do they take injury if moved into one other robotic or terrain.
- Buff / Debuff: This motion permits you improve / lower a selected capability of the goal bot. For example, you would buff a pleasant unit, growing its injury output.
Lastly, chances are you’ll spend power on combining robots. Solely two robots might mix at a time they usually have to be adjoining to one another. Pay the price of the robotic that they’re combining into and substitute the 2 robotic standees with the brand new mixed robotic standee. Observe that when you mix robots, they can’t deconstruct again into the unique bots.
The A-class and E-class robotic combines into an AE-class robotic. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
When you have unused power on the finish of your flip, it may be used for defensive talents throughout an opponent’s flip. At the start of your subsequent flip, your power will replenish to its most degree, based mostly on what robots you continue to have alive at the beginning of that flip.
The blue team advances in the direction of the purple squad. Photograph by Michael G. Pistiolas
Battles rage on till one of many following circumstances are met:
- One military is annihilated;
- One military can’t produce no less than 5 power initially of its flip; or
- One military is unable to deal injury, drain power, push or pull the opponent, and they also retreat.
Why You Ought to Play A.E.G.I.S.
A.E.G.I.S. is a enjoyable, fast skirmish recreation with a terrific theme, impressed by exhibits like Voltron and Robotech. At its core, the sport is simple, with straightforward to know mechanics, making it accessible to entry degree gamers. Actually, the writer offered ten preconstructed decks that permit gamers to right away leap into the sport with out having to construct their very own groups. The decks are ordered in a method that introduces gamers to new talents and methods progressively. Moreover, the punch boards with the robotic standees have been manufactured in order that the primary ten standees are for deck 1, the subsequent ten for deck 2 and so forth, making it even simpler to open the field and shortly begin enjoying without having to punch and manage each element.
All that being stated, A.E.G.I.S. additionally gives the skilled participant a variety of complexity in its gameplay. The sheer variety of robots obtainable permits you to attempt totally different team mixtures each play, looking for the most effective mixtures of talents and actions. This, together with the variable board format, makes A.E.G.I.S. extraordinarily customizable and replayable. Each recreation offers a brand new problem and technique as to how you can greatest deploy your team and overrun your opponent. In truth, whether or not or to not mix your robots and degree up provides a further layer to the general technique. Whereas greater degree bots are typically higher, combining robots sometimes reduces your general power quantity in addition to taking you one step nearer to defeat by having fewer bots on the board. All of those tactical selections make A.E.G.I.S. a enjoyable problem to any degree of gamer.
And if all that weren’t sufficient, in addition to the usual recreation mode, the rulebook lists a number of different methods to play the sport. The primary known as Machine Chess, which performs equally to the usual mode besides opponents alternate turns, activating a single robotic at a time till all robots have activated. Then everybody’s power swimming pools replenish and a brand new spherical begins. I like this variant as it’s extra inline with comparable fight video games and doesn’t depart one participant open to a number of assaults earlier than getting a flip.
Level Management is one other model in which gamers every have a beginning team of eight robots however the victor is decided by the participant who reaches 14 factors first. Factors are earned by destroying enemy robots, controlling sure areas of the board, or combining right into a degree Four or 5 bot.
The subsequent choice is Mix Rondo, which permits gamers to start the sport with mixed robots as an alternative of all degree 1 bots. Every participant will get 9 Unite Factors to construct their team. A robotic’s value is related to its degree. For instance, you would construct a team of a degree Four robotic, a degree three robotic, and two degree 1 robots. Apart from that, the sport is performed the identical as the usual mode and robots can nonetheless mix into greater degree ones.
Lastly, there’s Draft Mode, which is supposed for larger participant counts of Four or 6 (to play 6 gamers, you would wish to buy the 6-player battle mat). First, shuffle all of the mixed robotic playing cards (Ranges 2-5) and deal 5 playing cards to every participant. Then shuffle the essential robotic playing cards (Degree 1) and deal ten playing cards to every participant. Gamers then decide one card from their primary robotic playing cards and cross the remaining to the left. This continues till every participant has ten primary robotic playing cards from which to construct a beginning team of 5 bots. This mode ignores faction guidelines and commander names.
As you possibly can see, A.E.G.I.S. gives plenty of totally different recreation modes in the core field. That mixed with the strong element high quality, enjoyable theme, and strategic gameplay, makes A.E.G.I.S. a keeper for me.
To subscribe to GeekDad’s tabletop gaming protection, please copy this hyperlink and add it to your RSS reader.
Click on right here to see all our tabletop recreation critiques.
Disclosure: GeekDad acquired a replica of this recreation for evaluation functions.
Get the Official GeekDad Books!